Chris rejoined the firm in 2011 after several years with a major P&I Club. Chris acts for vessel owners and charterers, offshore service contractors, oil majors, bunker suppliers, P&I Clubs, H&M insurers, Shipmanagers, lay-up anchorages and traders. His experience covers all aspects of charter party, COA, bills of lading and general shipping disputes, including offshore, shipbuilding and heavylift contracts. Chris also has experience of handling disputes on behalf of lay-up service providers and shipmanagers.
Chris’s non-contentious work includes experience of drafting COAs, bespoke charter party clauses for vessel owners, house bills of lading for an oil major, vessel lay-up agreements, rig-sharing agreements, jack-up drilling contracts and ship management and crewing agreements and various offshore service contracts.
Chris also advises insurers on coverage and subrogation. His insurance experience includes H&M, and offshore energy. Chris regularly advises insurers on pursuing subrogated recovery actions in South East Asia. As a result Chris is familiar with the regional joint operating agreements and has experience of working with correspondent lawyers across Asia Pacific and of supervising the handling of cases in the Indonesian, Thai and Malaysian courts. Chris has experience of mediation, English high Court proceedings and international arbitration under LMAA, HKIAC, SCMA and SIAC rules.
Chris Metcalf is listed as a leading individual by Legal 500.
- Advising offshore insurers in pursuing subrogated recoveries in respect of anchor drag damage to pipelines in Malaysia and Thailand
- Advising H&M insurers in pursuing subrogated recovery against cargo interests for loss of vessel due to liquefaction of a nickel ore cargo
- Advising vessel owners in respect of issues arising due to cargo liquefaction
- Advising H&M insurers on issues of seaworthiness and policy coverage
- Acting for various owners of offshore vessels in a variety of disputes arising out of Supplytime charter parties
- Acting for a major coal trader in an international SIAC arbitration, including application for emergency relief
- Advising on coverage issues under a WELCAR Policy