Anthony qualified in 1995 and has more than 20 years of experience with leading international firms specialising in handling marine and trade disputes.
Anthony’s practices focus on “dry” shipping and commercial disputes including defending cargo claims, misdelivery, charterparty dispute, damage to hull and machinery, claims arising from collision, grounding and salvage, arrest of ships and jurisdiction challenge, commodity contract, crew’s and workman’s bodily injury claim, regulatory investigations.
Representing P&I Clubs belonging to the International Group, Anthony is regularly instructed to act on behalf of Chinese-speaking shipowners and charterers. Anthony is fluent in Mandarin and has an in-depth understanding of the culture and operation of the Chinese members. Anthony also works closely with general insurers defending claims against freight forwarders and terminals.
Along with court proceedings in HK, Anthony has vast experience handling arbitrations in Hong Kong, Singapore and China. He regularly participates in foreign proceedings including those in China and Taiwan. Anthony is also a qualified CEDR mediator.
- Successfully challenging and setting aside in rem proceedings in Hong Kong freeing a ship under arrest in relation to a claim for value of bunkers supplied to the vessel under charterers’ order
- Handling claims arising under time charter, voyage charter and bill of lading on behalf of shipowners following the collision of vessels off Chittagong including collision liability apportionment and transhipment of cargo
- Acting for time charterers in handling claims arising from the grounding of a vessel off Madagascar including GA and defending cargo claim
- Defending shipowners in claims brought in multiple jurisdictions for loss of cargo following the sinking of a vessel in Vietnam due to severe condition
- Representing slot charterers in defending cargo claims under bill of lading and seeking recourse under charterparty following a large number of containers lost overboard in Egypt
- Representing time charterers in a chain of charters in claims and cross-claims over hire and property damage following damage to vessel’s cranes by stevedore
- Representing a major Chinese commodity trader in an arbitration in Singapore to enforce a sale and purchase of chemicals contract involving disagreement over specification
- Advising cargo terminal following collision of vessel with berth including property damage and business interruption claims