Gildas is a renowned practitioner among the Paris Bar in insurance law and in industrial risk-related disputes.
Many important actors of the maritime transportation, shipbuilding or rail transportation industry have sought Gildas’ expertise in industrial risks.
Gildas also advises several shipowners both in the drafting of agreements and in the handling of maritime incidents.
As a renowned professional in insurance litigation, he regularly counsels insurers and has acknowledged skills in risk analysis, which leads him to represent several companies in disputes brought before ordinary courts or arbitral tribunals. Such disputes relate to industrial risks, property, P.I, D&O and credit insurance.
Gildas also advises and represents reinsurers on matters relating to the interpretation of French policies, as well as before arbitral tribunals.
Gildas is a Doctor of Law. His expertise in insurance law is recognised by Who’s Who Legal, Chambers and Legal500.
- Association des Docteurs en Droit
- Association des Dispacheurs Français
- Association Française de Droit Maritime
- PHD Thesis: “plateformes de forage et assurance” 1987 (“drilling platforms and insurance”)
- Réassurance “Back to back”, retour à l’orthodoxie?, Décideurs Juridiques, 2008 (“Back to back reinsurance, back to orthodoxy?”)
- La notion d’évènement en réassurance excess of loss, Magazine Décideurs, 2012 (“The notion of event in excess of loss reinsurance”)
- Representation of a shipowner in a dispute relating to the construction of several liquefied gas tankers.
- Representation of a liquefied gas tanker owner in the context of several disputes against ship repair companies in France and abroad.
- Representation of a shipowner in the context of a dispute against propulsion engine suppliers.
- Advising the world’s leading shipowner of service vessels for drilling platform support; handling of disputes, advising on shipbuilding and on all ship exploitation-related issues.
- Advising and representation of Lloyd’s Syndicates in London in the context of several disputes arising from risk retrocession.
- Regular representation of leading French insurers in disputes relating to executive liability insurance.
- Representation of a group of mutual insurance companies in disputes relating to the compensation for bodily injuries.
- Representation of several leading insurance companies in the context of industrial risk related disputes. In this regard, Gildas handled the following cases:
- a fire on a pipe layer
- the Madonna Tour stage collapse
- the destruction of a passenger bridge in Cherbourg
- the Erika shipwreck
- the M/V “Estonia” shipwreck
- Advising of a leading rail transportation company and handling of major incidents (derailments) which occured in France, the Czech Republic and in Germany.
- Representation of a reinsurer in an ad hoc arbitration proceeding relating to a globalisation event in South America.
- Advising of reinsurers on the interpretation of a hull and machinery policy governed by Algerian law.