Joycia has been practising law in the Middle East since 2007 and joined Clyde & Co’s Dubai office in 2010. She is a Partner in the Intellectual Property Group and her principal areas of focus are intellectual property (IP) and franchising. Joycia has over 15 years’ experience across the full range of commercial IP issues.
Joycia primarily advises clients on the commercial aspects of IP, from brand development and protection, to the creation of strategies for managing global IP portfolios, and then identifying the value in IP assets through licensing or other forms of commercial exploitation. Joycia’s licensing and commercialisation experience spans the full spectrum of IP rights, including trade marks, copyright and know-how, and patents and technology.
Extensive experience advising a range of clients in the retail sector is also core to Joycia’s practice, including advice on the licensing of IP through traditional franchise models and in the regional development of franchise rights throughout the Gulf and wider Middle East and North Africa region. As the region’s economies shift their focus from hydrocarbon industries with a view to creating true knowledge based economies, Joycia has supported her clients in advising on technology transfer and the commercialisation of hard IP rights such as patents and know how.
Joycia’s principal areas of practice are Intellectual Property and Franchising. Joycia has been continuously featured in the International Who’s Who of Franchise Lawyers since 2009 as a result of receiving sufficient nominations from clients and peers. Joycia is also an active member of the Steering Committee of the International Franchise Division of the American Bar Association. She is regularly asked to speak at regional conferences on intellectual property, franchising and hospitality and has also written many articles which have been published in Trade Mark World, IP Law 360, ITPNet, Chain Leader, SMB Advisor, Finance ME and Asian Counsel.
- Advising twofour54, the Abu Dhabi Media Zone on filing for trade mark registration of its key brand in 20 countries throughout the MESA Region and additional global brand protection strategies, review of media partner agreements and advice on licensing and enforcement of trade marks. Served as acting general counsel for three months
- Advising Averda International on the development of its global rebranding strategy, including incorporation of an IP holding company and filing for protection of its key trade marks in 15 countries
- Full service IP support to a UK based business in acquiring dormant trade marks from administrators, filing applications for supplemental protection and then commercialising the IP assets through licensing on a global basis
- Assisting a global franchisor in the management of its trade mark portfolio covering nine franchised brands in 15 MESA Region countries, licensing and franchising issues and related protection and enforcement advice
- Multi jurisdictional advice for a range of major US-based international franchisors in the F&B, fashion and homewares sectors on the franchise of their systems and licensing of their intellectual property assets in the six countries of the Gulf Co-operation Council
- Advising clients in the media, telecommunications and hospitality and leisure sectors on the management of global trade mark portfolios and specific portfolio management and protection strategies in the MESA Region
- Advising on all intellectual property and branding aspects of M&A transactions including verification and transmission of title issues, advising on warranties and reviewing sale documentation, preparing licences and assignment documents, attending to post-settlement transfer and registration issues
- Acting for US based global hotel corporation on trade mark and copyright enforcement issues in the United Arab Emirates, KSA, Kuwait, Qatar, Algeria, Egypt, Syria, Bahrain and Jordan including Court proceedings for trade mark infringement, cancellation actions and related prosecution and portfolio management advice
- Assisting global provider of smart card technology for subscription based pay television services on piracy and copyright enforcement issues in the MESA Region
- Acting for US brand owners in the aerospace, clothing and FMCG sectors on trade mark enforcement issues in the United Arab Emirates including lodgement of criminal complaints with the Police, and Court proceedings for cancellation of infringing registered trade marks
- Court proceedings and lodgement of complaints for resolution of domain name disputes under the UDRP
- Assisting international brand owners in co-ordinating anti-counterfeiting investigations and campaigns including Customs seizures and Police raids
- Advising on global co-existence/settlement of cross-border trade mark disputes for international brand owners