Richard is a client focussed lawyer specialising in transactional work, experienced in, and with a focus on, the superyacht sector. He has an eye for detail whilst adopting a practicable and pragmatic approach in helping clients achieve their goals.
Richard is a former marine biologist, whose interest in law stems from the environmental law aspects of his undergraduate degree. He trained at Eversheds (now Eversheds Sutherland) where he qualified into the shipping team in 2007 and joined Clyde & Co in 2017. With previous experience in a broad range of shipping work (including litigation), Richard now specialises solely in transactional work, where his true passion lies. His transactional work includes advising on shipbuilding, ports, and renewable energy projects (in particular offshore wind and biomass projects).
His current practice includes a strong focus on superyacht work. Richard advises clients through the lifecycle of superyacht ownership; from construction or purchase of a superyacht and all the elements that entails (advising on financing, ownership structure and flagging, contract negotiation, coordinating the completion process and delivery), through to operational matters such as refits, chartering, management and crew employment, and ultimately sale of the superyacht.
- Regularly acting in superyacht and merchant ship sale and purchase transactions
- Examples of superyacht transactions include:
- advising on the build, delivery, operation and sale of a 60m, Benetti superyacht;
- sale of a 45m long-range expedition superyacht built by McMullen & Wing;
- sale of a 59m Amels superyacht;
- acquisition of a 58m Lurssen superyacht;
- sale of a 50m superyacht, built by CRN;
- acquisition of a 47.55m Feadship superyacht;
- sale of a 95ft sailing yacht.
- Advising on superyacht management agreements and related risk analysis.
- Advising UK clients on the acquisition of over 20 new vessels from Far East shipyards in a rolling programme involving drafting and negotiating shipbuilding contracts, implementing novations, advising on refund guarantees and their registration and coordinating deliveries and related finance and onward sales.
- Acting for the overseas purchaser of a UK shipping company, including due diligence, negotiation of share purchase terms and warranties and transaction completion.
- Advising one of the world’s largest private coal operators, in the review of their trading terms assisting them with the strategic decision as to whether to time or voyage charter vessels for shipment of their coal globally.
- Advising on the construction of two newbuild hybrid electric passenger ferries for a transport operator.
- Advising an energy company on the terms of a SUPPLYTIME contract for the charter of a jack up vessel and associated contracts relating to the construction of an offshore wind farm.
- Advising energy companies on coal power plant conversion projects to biomass – drafting and negotiation of (i) port services agreements (ii) fuel supply agreements (iii) agreements dealing with the construction of port facilities and the importation of biomass; (iv) port agency agreements; and (v) port sampling agreements.